Bob Dylan: “One More Cup of Coffee”

Posted: January 22, 2014 in THE CLASH of Cover Tunes
Tags: , , , , , , , ,
Tune du Jour: “One More Cup of Coffee” – Bob Dylan
THE CLASH of Cover Tunes: Big Fish Ensemble vs. Steve Earle & Lucia Micarelli
Peruse, Comment and Vote (I Beseech, Implore and Urge Thee, respectively)
CoverMeImpressed.com     CoverMeImpressed.com     CoverMeImpressed.com
You used to be so amused, At Broccoli Man and the carrot for a guitar he used ...

You used to be so amused, At Broccoli Man and the carrot for a guitar he used …

space

One More Cup of Coffee appears on Bob Dylan’s album Desire, which was released in 1976. Desire reached #1 on the Billboard Pop Albums chart for five weeks, becoming one of Dylan’s top-selling studio albums (currently certified double platinum), while reaching #3 in the UK. It claimed the number one slot on NME Album of the Year. Rolling Stone named Desire #174 on its list of The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. One More Cup of Coffee is a duet between Dylan and Emmylou Harris pertaining to unrequited love and the passage away from an apparently ill-fated relationship.

space

space

Bob Dyan:

space

space

Big Fish Ensemble vs. Steve Earle and Lucia Micarelli

space

Big Fish Ensemble:

One of Atlanta’s great bands of the 90’s:

Steve Earle and Lucia Micarelli:

Treme’s street corner violinist & diva, Lucia Micarelli, pairs nicely with the esteemed Steve Earle on this number.

Oh the disharmony! Much like Harlan County there are no neutrals here. Only one cover tune will live to play another day and it is your solemn responsibility to decide which one prevails. So tell me … Which Side Are You On?!!?

space

space

Votes can be cast up to seven days from the day and time of the original post.

Disclaimer: Votes cast from Florida may or may not be counted.

Comments

Wow. Earle and Micarelli do a fantastic job on this. I like the song to begin with. But Earle and Micarelli seem to take it to a higher level while still remaining true to the feel of Dylan’s original. BFE are always fun to listen to. But Earle and Micarelli take the cake on this one, IMO.

Both are great. I can’t decide. I refuse to vote. So there.

3. Lucky H says:

Ah Treme, TV just doesn’t get any better … the divine Ms Lucia plays one fine street fiddle , and looks mighty fine while fiddling it, And that Steve Earle, quite the hottie, likewise….

I agree with Arnie, this one is ridiculously difficult to choose a winner. Both versions are excellent. I’ll have to give them both a few more listenings before choosing. But I’ll state upfront that a tie will go to BFE. That band provided me with countless wonderful evenings. Great band and great people!

Both versions are excellent. I’m voting BFE for some great old time’s sake.

It’s late and I may have had a drink so….this is one of my 25-50 favorite songs all all time by anyone and Dylan is my all time favorite artist. The Desire version is amazing in the way it incorporates the mysterious lyrics with the middle eastern melodies in Dylan’s vocals and the violin. It swells and moves the story in an emotional way which seems absent from the Big Fish version, which seemed on Pain meds. I like Big Fish and some of their side projects. Steve Earle is an icon to me, but his version too, while certainly closer to the original and better than BFE’s version was still booooring compared to Dylan’s original or Jack White’s version.