Tune du Jour: “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” – U2
THE CLASH of Cover Tunes: Coco Freeman and Rhythms del Mundo with U2
vs. The Persuasions
Peruse, Comment and Vote (I Beseech, Implore and Urge Thee, respectively)
CoverMeImpressed.com     CoverMeImpressed.com     CoverMeImpressed.com

space

I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For was released in 1987 on U2’s fifth album The Joshua Tree. It debuted at number 51 on the US Billboard Hot 100. After nearly 2 months on the chart, the song reached number one and stayed there for two weeks; it remained on the chart for 17 weeks. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For peaked at number 6 on the UK Singles Chart.

So Where Are the Strong, And Who Are the Trusted, And Where is the Broccoli, Sweet Broccoli!

In 1988, I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For received two nominations for a Grammy Award, for Record of the Year and Song of the Year. (Extra credit if you can tell me what the difference is…on second thought don’t bother, I’m actually not very interested.)

In 2001 I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For was ranked number 120 on the RIAA’s list of 365 Songs of the Century, a project intended to “promote a better understanding of America’s musical and cultural heritage”. (Apparently RIAA did not get the memo that U2 is, in fact, an Irish band.) In 2003, a special edition issue of Q, titled 1001 Best Songs Ever, placed I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For at number 148 on its list of greatest songs. In 2005, Blender ranked the song at number 443 on its list of The 500 Greatest Songs Since You Were Born. In 2010, Rolling Stone magazine placed the song at number 93 of its list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. And finally, the staff of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame selected I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For as one of the 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll.

(Just about all of the above was extracted from Wikipedia, at least whatever is accurate.)

space (space)

U2:

space (space)

And Now For Something Completely Different

space

I had to include this classic simply because I had to. Interesting, Bizarre, Irreverent (But Most of All, Good, Somewhat Clean, Fun!). Stick with it and you will be rewarded immensely…

Negativland:

space (space)

space (space)

Coco Freeman & Rhythms del Mundo with U2 vs. The Persuasions

space (space)

Coco Freeman & Rhythms del Mundo with U2:

Normally the inclusion of the original band would be a disqualifier for competition. But they must have had Bono tied-up in the back because U2 seems to have stayed way in the background for this cover.

The Persuasions:

The Persuasions are recipients of CMI’s universally coveted title of Uni Victor Melodious Maximus in Adversarial Replication. Among the title’s myriad of rewards and benefits, perhaps most desirous is that it bestows upon the recipient the eminently yearned for privilege of having one’s name appear in print media in bold yellow!

The Persuasions‘ triumph in CMI’s THE CLASH of Cover Tunes competitions is detailed below:

11/12/2013 – “Slip Slidin’ Away” (Paul Simon) – The Persuasions (57%) triumph over the Avett Brothers (43%)

space (space)

Oh the disharmony! Much like Harlan County there are no neutrals here. Only one cover tune will live to play another day and it is your solemn responsibility to decide which one prevails. So tell me … Which Side Are You On?!!?

space (space)

space (space)

Votes can be cast up to three months from the day and time of the original post.

Disclaimer: Votes cast from Florida may or may not be counted.

Comments

As much as I love U2, I like both of these covers better than the original. The Persuasions do their usual stellar job. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a song of their’s I didn’t enjoy. But I have to give the nod to Coco. It seems to my ears that this song was meant to be a kind of salsa-merengue number that U2 just happened to cover in their own style before Freeman released the original.

2. TracHer says:

Just saw a cover set of U2 over the weekend at a Yacht Rock show. NOTHING compares to U2 live! I had the immense pleasure of seeing The Joshua Tour. Lucky me!

I happen to have the Persuasions CD, from which this great version is taken, at home. I like both versions, but the Persuasions do such a nice job on this song that I’m gonna give them the nod. But it’s a close one.

4. The Bug says:

this was a close one and I love the Persuasions but when I listened to Coco the second time I had to give it to him–plus love his little shimmy shakin on the rooftop–also thanks for the Negativland extra Richie, laughed my ass off, poor Snuggles

I’m gonna go with the Casey Kasem version. It’s got a good beat and you can dance to it.

This is another tough call, with both versions being outstanding and quite diverse. Pretty much everyone has commented that they like both versions. What’s interesting to me is how different a “feel” each cover has. Coco and the boys, with that always uplifting merengue beat, exude happiness. Like the quest for true meaning is a joy unto itself. The Persuasions’ version, on the other hand, with that gospel feel seems more melancholy as the search is a necessary burden before finding meaning.

Well enough of that. So who gets my precious vote? I love both versions. Is it fair to give a song an edge due to its video? Every fiber of my being cries out “NO”, but like an umpire who inadvertently glimpses a stadium replay, I cannot simply forget what I just saw. And Coco’s video brings back such fond memories of sipping mojitos on the rooftop bar of a Havana hotel.many years ago…that just did it. I’m pulling the lever for Coco and may God (and The Persuasions) forgive me!

I didn’t think it was close. Without understanding the lyrics the song is nothing but a cute diversion. Most latin songs I have heard are about dancing and loving in a very early Hollywood type of dream reality. Scottish and Irish ballads were frequently about murder. Go figure. I think the lyrics are essential. The Persuasions did a nice soulful job but I think it ran about a minute too long. I am available as a producer to future sessions at a reasonable rate.

I’m seeing U2 at Madison Square Garden in June. Just snagged tickets last week!