Tune du Jour: “Here Comes My Baby” – Cat Stevens
THE CLASH of Cover Tunes: The Smith vs. Bart Davenport with Joe Goldmark & The Seducers vs. Yo La Tengo
VOTE, COMMENT, then ROMP, ROMP, ROMP (UNTIL THEY REVOKE YOUR PAROLE)
CoverMeImpressed.com     CoverMeImpressed.com     CoverMeImpressed.com
Broc 3 - Cover Me Impressed

Here Comes My Bok Choy, Here She Comes Now …

Here Comes My Baby was written by Cat Stevens and appeared on his first album, Matthew and Son, which was released in 1967. Shortly thereafter The Tremeloes released a single of Here Comes My Baby. The Tremeloes’ version was a huge success, reaching No. 13 in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 Chart and No. 4 in the UK Singles Chart.

Cat Stevens:

The Most Popular

The Tremeloes:

The Smith vs. Bart Davenport with Joe Goldmark & The Seducers vs. Yo La Tengo
The Smith:

Bart Davenport with Joe Goldmark & The Seducers:

Amoeba Records. Nice!

Yo La Tengo:

SPACE

Oh the disharmony! Much like Harlan County there are no neutrals here. It is your solemn responsibility to decide which cover song prevails. In other words … Which Side Are You On?!!?

Disclaimer: Votes cast from Florida may or may not be counted.

Comments

Great pop song. Always loved this one. Gotta go with Yo La Tengo on this, as usual when they are among the options.

I love this song and really like all three covers. The shocker for me is that Yo La Tengo was but my third preference. The Smith by a hair over Bart Davenport etal.

3. bornunderabadsign says:

Why on hearing the first few bars of this tune do I Trini Lopez is going to walk on to the stage? Yo La Tengo’s version makes me think of what might happen if the Searchers merged with the Leaves…I vote for The Smith!

Great song. All the covers were good, but Yo La Tengo do such a nice version here. Hard for me not to pick them. So pick them I did!

5. Lucky H says:

Better Call Saul , make that Bart, for the clear champ on this snappy little ditty!

Wow! I love this offering! Great song. Learned about it from Yo La Tengo. Went back and bought the early heavily orchestrated Cat Stevens late 60s pop albums. They are spotty with a few gems. The Smith?{never heard of them} have a nice “78-82” new wave energy that works nicely but I have to vote for Yo La Tengo because they are gods in human bodies. Occasionally they are so experimental that they veer into extreme nether regions especially on singles but in general I would buy anything they released or never tire of seeing them live.