Sex Pistols: “God Save The Queen”

Posted: February 7, 2018 in THE CLASH of Cover Tunes
Tags: , , , , , ,
Tune du Jour: “God Save the Queen” – Sex Pistols
THE CLASH of Cover Tunes: Manic Hispanic vs. Motorhead vs. The Whiskey Daredevils
Broc 3 - Cover Me Impressed

Everybody’s Dressin’ Funny … Cover Me Impressed!

S

Read it in the Sunday papers …

More than 1,300 students at Oberlin College have signed a petition asking administrators to abolish midterms and all grades below C to accommodate their busy protest schedules. The students say that attending demonstrations against social injustice leaves little time to study. “A lot of us started suffering academically,” one student said.

S

Sex Pistols:

S

The Other Version

Neil Young & Crazy Horse:

As a Neil Young fanatic I just have to say I am appalled that he chose to cover this vile song. To further irritate his rendition is absolutely abysmal!

S

Manic Hispanic vs. Motorhead vs. The Whiskey Daredevils
Manic Hispanic:

Motorhead:

The Whiskey Daredevils:

S

Oh the disharmony! Much like Harlan County there are no neutrals here. It is your solemn responsibility to decide which cover song prevails. In other words … Which Side Are You On?!!?

Comments

Manic Hispanic: when you can’t understand the lyrics or hear the sneering, scathing vocals of the brilliant John Lydon (has there been a more original vocalist in the last 42 years?) the song is reduced to generic hard rock.

Motorhead: solid version, although just like The Pistols but bolstered by a fun video. The woman playing The Queen is perfect. I believe she has made something of a career of playing The Queen.

The Whiskey Daredevils: With such an aggressive band name this one caught me by surprise and I loved it. Reminds me of a less cheeky Richard Cheese. Have we had any Richard Cheese on this site? I am a fan.

Neil Young: listened to Neil last and was surprised to hear he is not covering The Pistols but rather the British national anthem which he segues into My Country, ’tis Of Thee since we stole their melody. Normally only a verse or two is sung of this anthem and lyrics have been altered over the centuries to reflect political events, but in the sixth verse is the line “rebellious Scots to crush.”

2. bornunderabadsign says:

Whiskey Daredevils! love the reference to Cash cover pic!

Manic Hispanic has the novelty of delivering the song in Spanish, but they also really tear it up. Good version.

Whiskey Daredevils, in addition to having a great name, also garner points for originality. Interesting take.

I’ve never been a metal fan, and was skeptical of Motorhead, but I was pleasantly surprised, and voted for them, partly aided by that great video. I’m surprised the queen agreed to participate, but I guess it proves she has a sense of humor, is a Motorhead fan, or both.

Motorhead’s version is great, but I thought Manic Hispanic really tore it up, in the spirit of the Pistols. Whiskey Daredevils were original, but that song has to be played maniacally or it just doesn’t work. GSTQ is the first punk single I ever bought (I still have it, in the blue picture sleeve) and is my fave Sex Pistols song.

Glad to see all versions seemed to please the masses. I just couldn’t bring myself to vote of Motorhead. The Whiskey Daredevils were interesting and creative. But I went with the always charming Manic Hispanic. Great fun band.

It’s been 40 years since I first hear this song, and I still love it. All 3 covers here are fantastic. The flamenco style of Whiskey Daredevils is intriguing and fun to listen to. And Motorhead offers their usual stellar effort. But for me, Manic Hispanic’s Spanish-English hybrid version really captured the spirit of the original. In a neck-and-neck-and-neck contest I’m going with Manic Hispanic.

By the way, I think NY’s rendition of the English National Anthem is just plain boring.

PS. Welcome back RastArnold!