Tune du Jour: “My Back Pages” – Bob Dylan
THE CLASH of Cover Tunes: Marshal Crenshaw vs. Magokorro Brothers vs Estaban Paez
CoverMeImpressed.com     CoverMeImpressed.com     CoverMeImpressed.com
You used to be so amused, At Broccoli Man, and the carrot for a guitar he used ...

You used to be so amused,
At Broccoli Man,
and the carrot for a guitar he used …

“I don’t tweet for a very simple reason, which is that I drink.”

Lorne Michaels

spacespace

One of my favorite Dylan songs. And these three covers represent themselves well.

Bob Dylan:

Copyrights preclude Dylan’s original version from appearing.

Bob Dylan’s 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration (aka “Bobfest”):

Okay this is just plain ridiculous. Bob Dylan, Roger McGuinn, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Eric Clapton and George Harrison on stage at the same time! I mean c’mon. I don’t know, can anyone name another show that featured as many music icons on stage at the same time?

The Most Popular

The Byrds:

Marshal Crenshaw vs. Magokorro Brothers vs. Estaban Paez

Marshal Crenshaw:

Magokorro Brothers:

Estaban Paez:

space

Oh the disharmony! Much like Harlan County there are no neutrals here. It is your solemn responsibility to decide which cover song prevails. In other words … Which Side Are You On?!!?

Disclaimer: Votes cast from Florida may or may not be counted.

Comments

I am glad you included The Magokoro Brothers. Their version is the opening track on The Masked And Anonymous soundtrack which has some very unique Dylan covers. I voted for them. I also have the Bleeker Street compilation which has some good cuts. I got bored with Estaban Paez.

I love this song. I do think The Byrds do the definitive cover, but I really liked Marshall Crenshaw’s version. I didn’t like the Magokoro Brothers version at all. Didn’t like the guy’s voice, and the lyrics just don’t translate well into Japanese… all of those frantic syllables getting smashed into each phrase. Esteban’s version was a real snore. I’m pickin’ Crenshaw.

Again?! See my comment from January 24, 2018 here => https://covermeimpressed.com/2018/01/24/bob-dylan-my-back-pages-2/

I haven’t changed my mind.

Interesting to hear the foreign language versions, but not enough to take the vote away from Crenshaw.

This is one of my favorite songs and the version at Bobfest still gives me goose bumps. By the way, is that Paul Fahey lurking in the background at around the 5 second mark? And I still think the guy in the light blue-green suit just might be William Dafoe.

Marshal Crenshaw has a great voice for this song. His version is solid. I guess I am in the minority in that I also thought Estaban Paez turned in a formidable version. I love the lyrics to this song so much that it is hard for me to vote for a version in foreign tongue. And yet, I enjoyed the Magokoro Brothers’ version so much that I shook off my jingoism long enough to give them my vote.

6. bornunderabadsign says:

Wow! I love all these renditions! Have to go with hometown favorite around here Magokoro Brothers! すばらしい!